Quinoa Salad with Roasted Green Chilies
1 1⁄4 lb fresh Anaheim chile peppers, poblano chile peppers, banana chile peppers, and/or red sweet peppers
2 C quinoa or 4 C cooked couscous
2 C water
1 C chopped green onions
2 T butter
1/3 C extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 C lime juice
4 cloves garlic, minced
1⁄2 tsp. sea salt or salt
1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 C fresh cilantro, lightly chopped
2/3 C pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted
Bibb or Boston Lettuce
Whole roasted peppers*
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Halve chle peppers lengthwise. Remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Place pepper halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until skins are blistered and dark. Carefully fold foil up and around pepper halves to enclose; let stand for about 15 minutes. Use a sharp knife to loosen the edges of the skins; gently and slowly pull off the skin in strips. Cut the peppers in bite-size strips. Set aside.
2. In a fine sieve thoroughly rinse the quinoa in cold water. In a medium saucepan combine quinoa and the 2 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Uncover; let stand about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet cook green onions in the 2 tablespoons hot butter until tender. Remove from heat. Cool.
4. For vinaigrette, in a small screw-top jar combine olive oil, lime juice, garlic, sea salt and black pepper. Cover; shake well to combine.
5. In a bowl toss cooked quinoa or couscous, roasted pepper strips, cooked green onions, vinaigrette, cilantro, and pine nuts. Stir until combined. Line a serving platter with lettuce. Top with salad and roasted pepper. Top with additional whole roasted peppers. Serve salad at room temperature.
*Kitchen Tip: While roasting peppers, add additional whole small peppers to use as garnish. Roast but do not peel the small peppers.
Makes 8-10 servings
Each Serving: 366 cal, 21 g fat (4 g sat. fat.), 8 mg chol, 147 mg sodium, 39 g carbo, 4 g fiber, 11 g pro.
Daily Values: 40% vit. A, 230% vit. C, 7% calcium, 36% iron.